I love this quote by Mr. Rogers. I posted it on instagram a while back when Ferguson was on fire. I was so upset that night and stayed awake for hours watching humanity at its worst. I thought, what kind of world do I live in where people do this to their own neighbors and community? I understand the anger of inequality - not personally, of course I never could truly get it. Just like I never understood before what it is like to have cancer. Just like I still dont get it, because as of right now, it's just anxiety. No surgery, no chemo. I feel pretty ok physically.
Anyway, the helpers.....they truly are everywhere! A neighbor tells one neighbor, and all of a sudden they are rallying the neighbors. My friends Heather* & Robyn are on board to organize a website where helpers keep telling me to add them to. What can we do they ask? Get the kids? Bring food? Do laundry, groceries, errands? I have my preK mom friends all over doing favors, and I am just in awe of the helpers. You see, I'm one of them, I'm a helper. I want to help you in any way possible. Sometimes to my own default. Sometimes I am so busy and scattered because I've offered too much help.
So now, I stand before the world in my time of need. I have gotten some great advice. Accept the help, it's your time, you can't get through this alone. I always believed that in life you are given a lesson over and over until you truly learn it. Perhaps this is what is going on?! I can never accept help. I got this, I can do this, done done. Maybe one of those lessons I am so eager to learn in this journey is right here in front of me, YELLING at me. Learn the lesson this time, Becky! You are not alone, we are here to help you in any way we can.
Surgery is a week from tomorrow so I am getting my corner prepped and ready for all the helpers to come. I will open my hands and accept your love, your grace and your friendship. I will accept your help b/c I get it now, Universe, I truly do. I had an ahaa moment. Heather said it the other day (well she was really text singing it), but she was killing it Barbra style "people who need people...." and I kind of thought to myself "are the loneliest people' before realizing the true lyric is 'are the luckiest people'. And then BAM there it was my lesson.
I am so in do it myself mode that I distance myself from others. Put up my walls of "i got this" and then feel so alone. People who DONT need people are lonely! It is in accepting help that connection is shared. The beauty and grace that comes from accepting the helpers' help is really going to rock my world.
Lesson #1 received, cancer, thank you very much. Bring it on helpers, bring it on.
*For some reason my life is infiltrated with Heathers right now ;o) So I will tell you that coordinator Heather is Bristol Heather (she lives in Bristol district), Heather that I wrote about in my last post, we will call Clark Heather (she lives in Clark district) and my NJ Heather (from NJ) is an Acupuncturist. PS They are Heathers Reinvented - not a mean bone in any of their bodies! all love xoxo

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteHa, for some reason I read the title a la the creepy boy from 6th Sense "I see dead people." and then I realized you were quoting mr. rogers - much less creepy. And I love the picture with the blue streak!! Have you thought about doing any colors before surgery?? We've got lots of manic panic and pravana vivids in our upstairs bathroom...
ReplyDelete