Yesterday I went out to lunch w/my new friend Heather who just got through her toughest part of chemo...yet still has a seemingly never ending 3 months of chemo left and then radiation and then hormone blockers for like 5 years. (I think that is more or less her deal) Blech. Here's the thing. She thinks that she is not a ninja. I'm quite positive that she is but she doesnt recognize her own ninjaness. So Heather, my friend, this is a wake up call to your very inaccurate opinion of yourself.
You see, I literally met Heather 3 weeks ago? It was December 23rd. She called me and said I got your number from a mutual friend, and then asked for my address, brought babysitters (her sons) and showed up on my doorstep. The doorbell rings, I open door, and before me stands this beautiful bald vibrant woman looking at me, then hugging me saying "we got you. you got this. you're good." She proceeds to take me to lunch while her children watch my children so she could 'hear my story' and help through my diagnosis. Mind you, she is just 2 days out from chemo, feeling pretty crappy but put it all aside to go be there for a stranger. She wanted me to know I was going to be OK and I wasn't alone. Right at a time when I was feeling....well pretty alone.
I think being ninja means being vulnerable, so I don't know how much more ninja you can get?! Seeing her again gave me strength...to see her eating and laughing, enjoying herself when 3 days ago she couldn't get her beautiful bald head out of the bowl. She makes me know 'I can do this' b/c here she is, out to lunch, in the thick of it, not only doing it but out supporting others.
Dear Heather,
Being a ninja doesn't mean that you are always in kick ass mode. Being brave doesnt mean not being scared...the only thing in your head that day was getting to me as fast as possible. You didn't for one second think of your tired chemo self as you drove to my home, 2 days before Christmas presenting me with the the gift of how to be a ninja. HIIII-YAHHH!
xoxo
Love your blog, Beck, and your kick-ass ninja self!!!
ReplyDelete💗
DeleteWell said! ...And you are SO NOT alone! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteXo 💗
DeleteIsn't it wonderful to have complete strangers take you under their wing. You've got this!
ReplyDeleteThere are no coincidences...that's for sure. Heather you are the epitome of a Ninja. I just want to hug you and thank you for being so kind and selfless and full of love and light. You ladies are meant to be on this journey together. Cheers to kicking ass and supporting one another. You got this : )
ReplyDelete