Monday, January 5, 2015

the news is sinking in

Sooo....its been about 3 weeks since I was officially diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma.  I'm getting used to saying the sentence 'i have cancer' but it still feels surreal.  I use it both as a shield of protection, being gentle with myself and pretend it's my 'free ticket' card....I'll get more help, I can order out more, I can have a messy house with no excuses, no holiday cards this year....but really, it's quite scary.  I joke a lot, and I hope it makes other people feel more at ease and able to not look at me or talk to me like I'm not going to be OK.  Because I will be.  I know I'll be fine.  What bothers me the most is that my family may not be.  How will they get through difficult days when they need their mama b/c their feelings were hurt?  Who will brush the snarls out of my sweet girl's ever tangled hair?  How will my husband  handle the pressure of work, dinners, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping........heck how will he find the peanut butter if he doesn't move the cans in front of it?  

I have come to think they cannot function without me.  Picking up the toys that have slowly trickled from top to bottom, quietly reorganizing their backpacks and clothes, etc. so that when they go to look for it, it is back where it should be.  I envision a home filled with chaos and lost items.  Children crying for their mommy and homework unfinished, dishes unattended, bodies not bathed, teeth not brushed.In reality, I know they will survive.  Just as I will.  But I worry that the daily absence of my help will be something we can't come back from.....not the same anyway.  They won't need me the same  and maybe that's more my loss and something I'm grieving.  They will be forced into responsibilities that they haven't known.  The privilege of  always having me there, as they breezily meander through life, stolen from them.

The truth is since I've been diagnosed my husband has stepped up to the plate above and beyond what I could have imagined.  He's loved me harder and more attentively, yet remotely, knowing I am secretly suffering and that presents in a defensive & bitchy way.  He is my one constant, and has always believed in me more than I do myself.  No matter how big or small I've disappointed him, he has managed to put his pain aside and heal us both.  He has shown me that true love is selfless, not something that comes from our own needs...he is patient, and whatever my mistakes, he keeps holding me up, looking for nothing in return.  He has loved me when I haven't loved myself, and in truth if it werent for him, I would be broken.  I will return the many favors of his love, and fight the hardest fight I have in me.....for and because of him.  F*ck off cancer.  Ain't nothin come b/w me and my man.  Except of course some nice new, well deserved boobs ;o)

20 comments:

  1. ♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you Sista will never walk alone!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥️♥️ thx for not making me have to! ♥️♥️

      Delete
  3. I have shared. My thoughts and prayers are with you cousin. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly are an amazing woman Becky!! You WILL beat this!!!! Love you!!!!!! Kellwin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh my kellwin! miss you, my older cousin ;o) I had just gotten ur number,too & then all hell broke loose. ill text u so we can find a time to chat...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Love u right back! But where's my care package??? Lol

      Delete
  6. Becky, you are one of the strongest women I know and I have no doubt you will beat this and be even stronger for it. AND you will have breasts that will be the envy of many. I'm so lucky to have you as my friend. Time nor Distance :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx girl, and I you ;o) we've been thru a lot of years together! we will get thru a lot more!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. You are so the pink ninja....HIIIYYAAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pink ninja fits you perfectly!!! HIYAAA!! Love you Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky you are making me laugh and cry simultaneously! I am sorry you and your family have to go through this but I also know you will KICK ASS as promised! Sending love, friendship, and support from NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing this blog, Beckles. You have a gift with words. It made me cry and laugh too. Wish I lived near you. Love you and miss you lots... sending you positive vibes and lots and lots of love and hugs. You ARE a ninja. Always have been, since fighting your way out of the sea of tortellini boxes. ;) XOXOXOXOXO And thank you, Matt, for being Becky's rock. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol the tortellini boxes! Ahhh just think. now no one will ever have to say at dinner 'lets all wear our napkin where beckys is" when her bra push up pads slide out. Good. Times.

      Delete
  11. love you to the moon and back my sister. your inner STRENGTH illuminates and you amaze me with each passing day!! always sending you love, healing energy, hugs, smiles, hope and prayers. Matt is a wonderful father and husband...you are blessed to have one another. We are all behind you and so honored to be one of Becky's Bitches. F*UCK Cancer.

    ReplyDelete